TEACHING YOUNG PEOPLE HOW TO STEP INTO THEIR POWER
Download our free tips to build self-esteem for kids poster. Features the top 50 ways that help young people develop self-compassion, agency, goals, and an unshakable sense of belonging and worthiness.
Even though the dictionary defines self-esteem is a noun, I prefer to think of it as a verb. Self-esteem is an action. We have to practice and do self-esteem to develop, reinforce, and have it.
Hang this free poster in your classroom, school counseling office, hallway bulletin board, calm down corner, or refrigerator or mirror at home.
Ways to Cultivate Self-Esteem
Some of suggestions listed in this SEL resource are:
- Show respect towards others and yourself.
- Treat yourself with kindness & compassion, even & especially when life gets hard.
- Do more of what helps you feel good about yourself.
- Choose friends who treat you how you want to be treated.
- Say “no” to things you are uncomfortable with.
- Ask for help and support.
- Be responsible for your choices at school & at home.
- Start a new hobby or sport. Join a club at school.
- Limit how much time you spend in front of screens.
- Set goals & work towards them, step by step.
- Resolve conflict peacefully & use I-Statements.
- Focus on solutions, not problems.
- Tell the truth and be honest.
- Talk about your feelings with someone you trust.
- Spend time with caring adults.
- Laugh. Play. Have fun. Get Silly.
- Learn and practice healthy ways to cope with stress.
- Be your own best friend.
- Get to work on the chores & other responsibilities you have been putting off.
This tips to build self-esteem for kids poster is also available in a more teen-friendly version.