Your YOUR STUDENTS WILL LOVE YOUR FANTASTIC ELASTIC BRAIN BOOK COMPANION LESSON
Looking for an engaging lesson to teach JoAnn Deak’s book Your Fantastic Elastic Brain? Check out our quiz show style book companion lesson. This highly engaging, interactive game show activity will have your students excited to participate. And by the end of class, they will be begging to play more. Your students will have tons of fun playing this SEL game. On top of that, they get to use higher-level thinking skills as they make their way through the different categories.
THE GAME SHOW CATEGORIES ARE:
- ACT IT OUT: teams act out / role play the challenge prompt.
- TRUE or FALSE: teams decide whether the statement is true or false.
- SKETCH IT: teams quickly draw their answers.
- IMAGINE IF: teams answer “Imagine If” questions, using their imagination & problem solving skills.
- RISK: teams take a “risk” when they choose this category, since the type of question and/or challenge is not revealed until chosen.
WHAT’S SO UNIQUE ABOUT THIS LESSON?
The Game Show format is hands-on and experiential. Not only does it encourage reflective, critical thinking, it ios designed for students to show off and build on their smarts in different ways. Plus, the questions and challenges are 100% customizable so if you like, you can edit them to better fit your specific needs. Best of all, it’s super low-prep, perfect for all you busy counselors and teachers!
WAYS YOU CAN USE THIS SEL ACTIVITY:
- Social emotional learning classroom lessons
- Small group counseling
- Distance Learning classes
- School Counseling guidance lessons
Given that the GAME SHOW takes 40-60 minutes to play, and sometimes we just don’t have that much time….or that Your Fantastic Elastic Brain lesson works best projected on a large screen, and sometimes the technology breaks down….or that there are days when we walk into the classroom and just know that a whole classroom game is not going to fly that day….and sometimes students need more quiet, reflective activities……I have included more than 6 additional formats that do not require the use of the internet.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO PLAY THE GAME SHOW?
- If you can, use the Google Slides Your Fantastic Elastic Brain Lesson or PowerPoint game on a Promethean White Board or projector
- If using for distance learning, all players need internet access.
- Want to go screen-free? No problem! This Game Show also comes with printable task cards with the same prompts as the Game Show challenges.
PLEASE NOTE: JoAnn Deak’s book, Your Fantastic Elastic Brain, is not included in this lesson.