A FUN SOLUTION FOCUSED COUNSELING INTERVENTION
Download our free things you can control activity. Designed as a BINGO activity, school counselors can use this intervention to help students find solutions. When you focus on the things that are within your control, it makes it easier to problem solve. Focusing on the things that you can influence develops a stronger internal locus of control.
Use as classroom or office decor. Or distribute to your students, and challenge them to try each of the 24 suggestions. For instance, you can discuss ways in which they are already agents of their own lives. Additionally, talk about what more they would like to focus on, to become a more empowered author of their life story.
Examples of Things In Your Control:
- Getting enough sleep
- Owning up to your mistakes.
- How often you smile.
- Setting your boundaries.
- How you interpret events.
- When you take mindful breaths.
- How you “talk” to yourself.
- When and if you try again.
- How you respond to challenges.
- Treating others with kindness.
- Whether of not you keep your word.
- Saying you need a break…and taking one.
You may also enjoy WholeHearted’s list of 50 Things In Your Control. In addition to the fun Things You Can Control Fortune Tellers as a supplement to this SEL activity.