YOUR STUDENTS WILL LOVE THIS FRIENDSHIP LESSON!
Looking for a low-prep, interactive social skills friendship lesson? Guaranteed you and your students will have tons of fun playing this quiz show style SEL activity! Best of all, your students will learn about and discuss the value and importance of friendship. This includes the skills and assets that help children to develop healthy relationships with peers, in addition to tips on how to make and keep friends.
WAYS TO USE THIS FUN SEL ACTIVITY
You can use this Game Show as a stand-alone classroom guidance lesson about friends and/or supplement to your social emotional learning activities. Great for your small groups, too! Moreover, it’s distance learning ready: it includes both Google Slides™ and Power Point Presentation files, which allows you to use for SEL distance learning, teletherapy, virtual counseling groups, school counseling guidance and in person lessons.
What’s Super Sweet About this Lesson on Friendship?
The Game Show format is hands-on and experiential. Moreover, your students will use reflective thinking, cooperative learning, and be able to show off and build on their smarts in different ways. Plus, the questions and challenges are 100% customizable so if you like, you can edit them to better fit your specific needs. On top of that, it’s low-prep, perfect for all you busy counselors and teachers! There’s even a school counseling guidance lesson plan included, too!
The Game Show Categories Are:
- ACT IT OUT: teams act out / role play the challenge prompt.
- TRUE or FALSE: teams decide whether the statement is true or false.
- SKETCH IT: teams quickly draw their answers.
- IMAGINE IF: teams answer “Imagine If” questions, using their imagination & problem solving skills.
- RISK: teams take a “risk” because the type of question and/or challenge is not revealed until chosen.
What’s needed to play the Game Show?
- If you are using this SEL lesson in person, it is best used with a Promethean White Board or projector that that can be hooked up to your computer; it’s formatted as a power point presentation and now google slides™, too!
- If using for distance learning, all players need internet access. Share your screen with students!
- Want to go screen-free? No problem! This Game Show also comes with printable task cards with the same prompts as the Game Show challenges.
Provides lots of flexibility….
Given that the GAME SHOW takes 40-60 minutes to play, and sometimes we just don’t have that much time….or that the GAME SHOW works best projected on a large screen, and sometimes the technology breaks down….or that there are days when we walk into the classroom and just know that a whole classroom game is not going to fly that day….and sometimes students need more quiet, reflective activities……I have included more than 6 additional formats that do not require the use of the power point presentation or google slides™. (Note: the additional activities do involve some printing prep-work.)
ASCA MINDSETS & BEHAVIORS covered:
- M 1. Belief in development of whole self, including a healthy balance of mental, social/emotional and physical well – being
- M 3. Sense of belonging in the school environment
- M 6. Positive attitude toward work and learning
- B-LS 2. Demonstrate creativity
- B-SS 2. Create positive and supportive relationships with other students
- B-SS 6. Use effective collaboration and cooperation skills