A FUN GAME ABOUT HOW TO BE SUCCESSFUL AT SCHOOL
Looking for a fun game to review school success skills for kids? If so, you’ll love The School Success Card Game! The questions and prompts cover academic achievement, executive functioning skills, attendance, expected and unexpected behaviors, and goal setting.
Ways You Can Use The School Success Game:
- Small Groups for Social Emotional Learning Support and Skills Practice
- Individual counseling sessions as an assessment tool.
- The actual act of playing the game provides insight into children’s social skills, decision-making process, frustration tolerance, level of respect for rules & boundaries, and problem-solving abilities.
- Playing also builds social skills!
- Fun for Family Game Night!
- Community and relationship building classroom group activity
Now Available in Both Print and Digital Game Formats
You now get to choose between playing the printable card game format or the digital Google Slides™ version. So whether you are in person or need an interactive school success game for distance learning, teletherapy, or virtual small groups, we got you covered!
How to Play The Digital School Success Connect Game
Taking turns, players/teams choose a number based on the spot they would like to place their pawn. Then answer the corresponding school success question/prompt. Move game pawn to cover the number just answered. Players continue to take turns answering questions/prompts and moving their pawn pieces until the first player/team has completed a vertical, horizontal, or diagonal line of either 4 or 5 in a row.
For a Free “Sample Example” of how the digital game works, please download my Conversation Starter Connect Game!
How to Play The Printable School Success Card Game
In the spirit of other popular shedding-type card games, the player to get rid of all their cards first by wins. Players try to “match” the top card in the discard pile, by either laying down the same number, color (or shape, if using the black & white set), or type of action card. If the card contains a question or prompt about ways to be successful at school, that player shares their response. The player may choose to decline responding by using 1 of their 2 Pass Tickets. Actions cards add fun twists and turns to the game. Actions include:
- TAKE 3: The next person in line must take 3 cards before taking their turn.
- ROTATE RIGHT / ROTATE LEFT: All players pass on, or “rotate,” their cards to either the left or right, so that everyone exchanges hands with each other.
- GO AGAIN: Player gets to “go again,” gaining an additional turn.
- FREE!: Player who discards a FREE card is “free” to choose a new color (or shape) for the discard pile and then discard an additional card based on the color (or shape) they changed it to.
- FREE + SPY!: Player who discards a FREE+SPY card can spy on one player by peeking at their cards and then is “free” to choose a new color (or shape) for the discard pile and then discard an additional card based on the color (or shape) they changed it to.
Make sure to check out our FREE Social Emotional Learning Resources!