TIPS FOR BUILDING A GROWTH MINDSET
Download our free ways to build a growth mindset poster. This visual support reminds students about tips for developing grit and resilience. Hang in your classroom, hallway bulletin board, home, or school counseling office. Moreover, you can use these tips as morning meeting conversation starters and journal prompts.
Strategies for Cultivating Grit and Resilience
This growth mindset checklist includes:
- Learn from your mistakes.
- Focus on your effort, not on the end result.
- Remember that practice makes progress.
- Look for ways to improve.
- Embrace imperfection and creativity.
- Set goals that are specific and doable.
- Try a different strategy if the first one isn’t working.
- View challenges as opportunities to grow.
Why Teach About Growth Mindset?
Research tells us that cultivating a growth mindset is the surest path to developing the kind of positive self-talk which is foundational for self-efficacy and a strong internal locus of control. Having a growth mindset is like having a compass which points to the “next step” when invariable mistakes and missteps happen. So instead of giving up, having a growth mindset inspires us to get up, get creative, get to Plan-B (or C or D :), get moving, and get growing!
Be sure to check out some of other growth mindset resources, such as our interactive quiz show lesson. In addition to our super fun fortune teller activity and card game, that comes in printable and digital formats.